HistoryWired About the Program Help Comments Smithsonian Institution
back
Underwood & Underwood

Underwood & Underwood was established at Ottawa, KS, in 1882 by brothers Elmer and Bert Underwood. Originally they were distributors in the West for eastern photographers' stereographs, but they began publishing stereographs in 1890. They established an educational unit in 1895 and became a leader in armchair travel photography. Although the firm was highly successful in marketing sets of stereographs for a number of years, they eventually decided to concentrate on non-stereoscopic photographs and sold their glass stereo collection to a competitor, the Keystone View Co., in 1912 and 1921. The photographs in this collection represent the material which Keystone did not purchase.

 

Link to non-Smithsonian Web site

 

Related Images

Boys sledding, Chicago, about 1928)
Enlarge
Boys sledding, Chicago, about 1928)
Girls at Camp Nawakwa, (about 1928)
Enlarge
Girls at Camp Nawakwa, (about 1928)


Start HistoryWired | About the Program | Help | Comments

Smithsonian Institution | Terms of Use | Privacy